As an independent liberal arts institution, Urbana University’s strength lies in its quality faculty, students, and curriculum supported by strong student services. Urbana University prepares students for a lifetime of leadership and service to society through excellent classroom instruction, real world experiences, community partnerships, and technology. It is the mission of Urbana University to offer a liberal arts education in a small college environment emphasizing student learning through individual attention, excellence in instruction, career-oriented programs, and critical reflection on moral and ethical values.
|County||Champaign County, OH|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--General|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|54 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,340 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||827 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||513 students||137 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||1,168 students||1,507 students|
|# Graduate Students||172 students||129 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||1%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
- Urbana University was founded in 1850 by followers of the 18th century Swedish philosopher and scientist, Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772). The university was the second institution in Ohio to admit women. Urbana University inherited its tradition of emphasizing student learning through individual attention, excellence in instruction, career-oriented programs, and critical reflection on ethical and moral issues.
- The curriculum at Urbana University is designed to reflect the values of liberal arts and career education. The liberal arts component of the curriculum is provided by courses in the humanities, the natural sciences, and the social sciences. In addition, many courses and programs (for example, in business and education) are directed toward acquiring the knowledge, skills, and attitudes appropriate to effectively pursue selected careers.
- Campus facilities include a blend of modern and traditional architecture, creating a peaceful and safe setting for learning and interacting with faculty and students. Residence halls offer both traditional rooms and suite-style accommodations for over 450 students.
- Offering the best of both worlds, Urbana University is located on a 128-acre campus in the small city of Urbana, Ohio, with the major metropolitan areas of Columbus and Dayton within an hour's drive.
- Urbana University ranks as one of the least expensive private universities in Ohio.
- Urbana University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. The University is authorized by the Ohio Board of Regents to offer degree programs in the State of Ohio and by the State of Ohio Department of Education. The College of Business Administration is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education.
Related School Videos
Related School Video