|County||Greene County, OH|
|Title IV Eligible||Yes|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate (Liberal Arts) Colleges II|
|Institution Level||4 or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit|
|Full-Time Undergraduate||1,146 students|
|Part-Time Undergraduate||11 students|
|Full-Time Graduate||11 students|
|Part-Time Graduate||2 students|
|Total Enrollment||1,170 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||787 students|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||96%|
|% Students Receiving Federal Grants||78%|
|Avg. Amount Of Federal Grants Received||$5,017|
|% Students Receiving State/Local Grants||24%|
|Avg. Amount Of State/Local Grants Received||$3,378|
|% Students Receiving Institutional Grants||76%|
|Avg. Amount Of Institutional Grants Received||$3,998|
|% Students Receiving Loans||78%|
|Avg. Amount Of Loan Received||$6,450|
- Wilberforce University has a deep commitment to provide academically excellent and relevant higher education, particularly for African-American men and women. This commitment aims at increasing the probabilities of success in college and subsequent careers for all individuals previously excluded from the mainstream American society. The mission of Wilberforce University is the development of a total person. Central to this mission is the preparation of students for leadership in today's complex job market and society at large. Consequently, the University emphasizes the integration of liberal arts education and supervised work experience.
- Wilberforce University seeks to help its students to think logically and act creatively in all areas of human experience, to develop social awareness and a sense of responsibility to self and others, acquire an acquaintance with the various areas of human knowledge, acquire an appreciation and an understanding of aesthetic values, become familiar with the origin and development of democratic ideas and institutions, utilize the scientific method in problem solving, develop wholesome attitudes and Christian ideals, develop skills in communication: clear and creative writing and speaking, as well as appreciative understanding and critical evaluation of what is communicated, select and prepare for specific vocations by combining academic preparation and practical job experience.
- Academic excellence, social responsibility and empowerment are the foundation stones of the Wilberforce academic program. The University offers a variety of majors in Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees
- Wilberforce University is a unique institution located in a state rich in America's private college tradition. Founded prior to the end of slavery in 1856, it is the nation's oldest, private African-American university. For 147 years WU has, through sheer force of will, provided young African-American students with a solid educational experience.
- Wilberforce is regionally accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and is affiliated with many collegiate organizations and associations, including the United Negro College Fund.
Related School Videos:
Wilberforce University 2011
1 year ago.
Wilberforce University PR Video
2 years ago
Related School News:
- Students, staff to protest at Wilberforce U. - WHIO Dayton
posted on February 18, 2013 at 11:35:46 pm
Students, staff to protest at Wilberforce U.WHIO DaytonThe faculty and student government at Wilberforce University say they plan to protest Tuesday during a ceremony aimed at ...
- Middletown native to honor essay contest winners - Middletown Journal
posted on February 18, 2013 at 11:05:14 am
Middletown native to honor essay contest winnersMiddletown JournalThen when Brown, who graduated from Wilberforce University, came home on the weekends, ...
- Celebration focuses on power of knowledge - Tyler Morning Telegraph
posted on February 17, 2013 at 06:08:07 am
Celebration focuses on power of knowledgeTyler Morning TelegraphThe earliest institutions for blacks, included Lincoln University and Wilberforce ...