Johnson C Smith University
Johnson C Smith University
|County||Mecklenburg County, NC|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--General|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|106 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,669 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||1,606 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||63 students||137 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||1%||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||370-460||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||360-475||460-573|
|ACT English (25-75%)||13-20||19-25|
|ACT Math (25-75%)||16-19||18-25|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||15-19||20-25|
- Founded in 1867 under the auspices of the Committee on Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU) is an independent, private, coeducational institution of higher learning. Located in the rapidly growing metropolis of Charlotte, North Carolina, "Queen City of the South", this historically African-American university has a residential campus with a familiar atmosphere in which students are stimulated and nurtured by dedicated and caring faculty and staff.
- JCSU is the only historically black college to become an IBM ThinkPad University. Service learning component combines academics and community service. Study abroad opportunities are available in Japan, Australia, Spain, Russia, Morocco, Mexico, Ireland, Israel and Brazil. Extensive career development opportunities abound through co-op programs and internships with over 90 companies.
- The College of Arts and Sciences plays a large part in fulfilling the Johnson C. Smith University mission of the "development of self-confidence, to the understanding of one's heritage as well as an awareness of the cultures of others." The College also strives to "produce graduates who are able to communicate effectively, think critically, learn independently and demonstrate competence in their chosen fields."
- Johnson C. Smith University is located at 100-300 Beatties Ford Road near the intersection of West Trade Street, Fifth Street, and Rozzelles Ferry Road in Charlotte, North Carolina. Charlotte is served by the major airlines, by Greyhound and Trailway buses, and by Amtrak. The campus is easily accessible from Interstates 85 and 77.
- JCSU was recently listed in the June 2003 edition of Black Issues in Higher Education’s “Top 100 Degree Producers 2003,” ranking 37th in the nation among college and universities awarding Computer Science degrees to African-American students. The University also ranked 45th in the nation in awarding English degrees. In both instances, JCSU ranks higher than any other private institution in North and South Carolina. Johnson C. Smith University ranked twice by U.S. News and World Report as one of the best comprehensive colleges in the South, Johnson C. Smith University continues to be a leader among private liberal arts colleges in the nation
- JCSU is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), Council on Social Work Accreditation (CSWE).
WELCOME CLASS OF 2024 to Johnson C Smith University
8 months ago