Macalester College is a privately supported coeducational liberal arts college. It was founded in 1874 as a Presbyterian-related but non-sectarian college; its first class entered Sept. 15, 1885. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college with an educational program known for its high standards for scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society
|County||Ramsey County, MN|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--Liberal Arts|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|189 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,070 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||2,035 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||35 students||137 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||2%||1%|
|% Two or more races||3%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||630-740||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||640-730||460-573|
|SAT Writing (25-75%)||630-720||440-570|
|ACT English (25-75%)||29-34||19-25|
|ACT Math (25-75%)||27-33||18-25|
|ACT Writing (25-75%)||8-10||6-8|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||28-32||20-25|
- Macalester, located in a friendly, residential neighborhood, has 53 green acres in the heart of two of America's safest, most vibrant cities. Macalester has seven academic buildings, 10 residence halls, 5 language houses, a library and technology center. The academic buildings and library include state-of-the-art technology (plus one of the Midwest's largest telescopes) and the residence halls offer a variety of living experiences, from traditional dorms to apartment-style suites.
- Macalester students come from all 50 states plus D.C. and from 90 countries. They are scientists, writers, actors, environmentalists, athletes, musicians and more.
- Macalester has an 11 to 1 student-faculty ratio with an average class size of 17 (labs: 12). All 750 courses are taught by Macalester's faculty (92 percent have a Ph.D). There are 454,000 volumes in the library and 1.5 million available through our online catalog (Students also have access to the University of Minnesota library).
- Extracurricular activities on campus, athletics, eating out, visiting museums, seeing movies, parks, Macalester and the Twin Cities offer a dizzying number of distractions from and additions to coursework.
- Macalester has been named “America’s Hottest Liberal Arts College” by the 2006 Kaplan/Newsweek “How to Get into College” Guide. Macalester is ranked 26 among the 215 national liberal arts colleges in the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings.
Related School Videos