Bluefield State College
Bluefield State College provides students an affordable, geographically accessible opportunity for public higher education. The College demonstrates its commitment to undergraduate education by providing a dedicated faculty and staff, quality educational programs, and strong student support services in a caring environment.
Bluefield State College
|County||Mercer County, WV|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--General|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|98 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,943 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||1,600 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||343 students||137 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||405-495||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||405-515||460-573|
|ACT English (25-75%)||16-22||19-25|
|ACT Math (25-75%)||16-20||18-25|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||17-21||20-25|
- Bluefield State College was established as a black teachers college by an act of the West Virginia Legislature in 1895 and was integrated after 1954. By the 1960's the College had a comprehensive four-year program of teacher education, arts and sciences, and engineering technology. Gradually a variety of two-year technical programs evolved in response to local needs.
- Bluefield State College offers several programs of study under each of the four academic schools.
- The college offers baccalaureate and associate degrees. Instructional programs are offered in engineering technologies, business, teacher education, arts and sciences, nursing and health science professions, and a variety of career fields. Students may also complete the non-traditional Regents Bachelor of Arts degree through Bluefield State College. A strength of the College is the two-plus-two design of many of its baccalaureate level programs whereby the two years completed for an associate degree are completely applicable toward the baccalaureate degree. Bluefield State College is also dedicated to offering a wide variety of off campus courses at centers in Beckley, Lewisburg, and Welch.
- BSC was selected for the sixth consecutive year as one of "America's Best Colleges" by U.S. News & World Report.
- Bluefield State College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. Engineering technology programs accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), Accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs.