Alvernia is a private, residential, coeducational university sponsored by the Bernardine Francisan sisters, a Catholic religious order. Its purpose is to provide affordable quality education that combines liberal arts with career and professional opportunities. Alvernia's goal is to prepare learners for personal achievement, for social responsibility, for moral integrity, and for spiritual fullness. Alvernia emphasizes moral leadership throughout its curriculum.
|County||Berks County, PA|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--General|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|166 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,891 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||1,805 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,086 students||137 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||2,347 students||1,507 students|
|# Graduate Students||544 students||129 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||1%||1%|
|% Two or more races||1%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||420-520||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||430-540||460-573|
|SAT Writing (25-75%)||420-520||440-570|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||18-22||20-25|
- The roots that were to become Alvernia University were planted in 1926 when the Bernardine Sisters of the Third Order of Saint Francis established a Teacher’s Seminarium for the education of the Sisters. Thirty-two years later, in 1958, the institution was expanded into a four-year liberal arts college.
- Alvernia University provides 5-year Masters Programs in Education, Business, Occupational Therapy, and Social Work, having a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio.
- You'll find many ways to get involved on campus and add to your educational experience. Student service organizations, honor societies, and intercollegiate athletics are excellent ways to learn teamwork skills and supplement your classroom learning. More than 500 Alvernia students are active in over 50 student groups, and numerous activities are scheduled throughout the year. We have over 100 student leadership positions, and over 200 of our students are members of honor societies.
- Alvernia's 123-acre campus is located three miles from Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of eastern Pennsylvania. Public transportation provides service to within walking distance of the campus.
- Alvernia University is accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Related School Videos