University of Maine at Machias
The University of Maine at Machias is Maine's Coastal University. It is closely linked to its location on the Atlantic Ocean coast, among forests, glacial lakes, and abundant aquatic and terrestrial wildlife. This Downeast location, with its rich human and natural resources, provides a unique living and learning environment for our students. Through its liberal arts core and distinctive baccalaureate programs, the University prepares students for life-long intellectual growth, individual success, leadership in a global society, and the advancement of a sustainable environment. The University's applied research and public services contribute to the improvement of the quality of life and economic development in Downeast Maine.
University of Maine at Machias
|County||Washington County, ME|
|Title IV Eligible||Yes|
|Institution Level||4 or more years|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|31 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||877 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||521 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||356 students||137 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||5%||1%|
|% Two or more races||2%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||500-510||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||500-520||460-573|
|SAT Writing (25-75%)||510-560||440-570|
|ACT English (25-75%)||22-25||19-25|
|ACT Math (25-75%)||20-26||18-25|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||27-26||20-25|
- UM-Machias provides a level of quality and personal attention comparable to a small private college, but without the high tuition. You'll study in small classes and develop close relations with professors, and you'll still have access to the resources of the University of Maine System.
- UMM offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in 12 major programs, as well as opportunities for self-designed programs, certifications, and licenses.
- The University of Maine at Machias collaborates with each of the other campuses in the University of Maine System to fulfill the needs of public higher education in the state of Maine. Located on the coast of Downeast Maine, UMM is the easternmost college in the United States. The 243-acre campus is within walking distance of the center of Machias and the waters of the Machias River estuary. Campus facilities include a state-of-the-art fitness facility that offers programs in aquatics, fitness and wellness; an addition to one of the residence halls providing alternative living arrangements; and an early child care facility.
- UMM boasts wonderful resources for our students: the Merrill Library, the Communications Center, the Murdock Fitness and Aquatics Center, the Elizabeth Clarke Flaherty Early Care and Education Center, the Performing Arts Center, 24-hour computer labs, and the Student Support Center.
- The University of Maine at Machias is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Related School Videos
Related School Video