|County||Salem County, VA|
|Title IV Eligible||Participat|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate Colleges--Liberal Arts|
|Institution Level||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|187 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,060 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||1,987 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||73 students||137 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||490-600||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||480-600||460-573|
|SAT Writing (25-75%)||480-590||440-570|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||20-25||20-25|
- Roanoke College was founded in 1842 as a preparatory school for boys, near Mt. Tabor Church, abouteight miles from Staunton, Virginia. The dreamchild of two Lutheran pastors, David F. Bittle and Christopher C. Baughman, theVirginia Institute attracted local boys to its classes to prepare them for Gettysburg College and, hopefully, the Seminary.In 1845 the State incorporated the school as the Virginia Collegiate Institute. Bittle left the school, returning tofull-time ministry in Maryland. Seeking a better location and a greater population from which to recruit students, Baughmanmoved the Institute to what would become its permanent home in Salem, Virginia, in 1847.
- Roanoke College, the country’s second oldest Lutheran-related college, is an independent,coeducational, four-year liberal arts college. Roanoke offers 34 majors, 28 minors, 17 concentrations and sixpre-professional programs leading to Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Business Administration degrees. Inaddition, the College offers both elementary and secondary teacher licensure. Our core curriculum ensures the breadth andcritical thinking of a liberal arts education and our honors program offers students opportunities to participate inchallenging interdisciplinary courses.
- Roanoke College pursues its mission through an innovative curriculum that combines a core program inthe liberal arts, major fields of study in the natural sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities and fine arts, alongwith career-oriented, specialized programs of study.
- The college is listed in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges Guide as a national liberal artscollege. Roanoke College is one of just 270 colleges nationwide with chapters of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and mostprestigious honor society.
- Roanoke College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Collegesand Schools to award the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Business Administration degrees.
Roanoke College Commencement 2018
9 months ago
Roanoke College Chi Omega 2017
2 years ago