Founded in 1866, Fisk University is one of America's finest institutions of higher education. While the University has a strong foundation in the liberal arts, we pride ourselves in our contribution to the nations ranks of great scientists and businesspersons. During our 140 year legacy, we have consistently produced graduates with the intellectual and ethical aptitude to constructively engage and change the world.
|County||Davidson County, TN|
|Title IV Eligible||Yes|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate (Liberal Arts) Colleges I|
|Institution Level||4 or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit|
|Instructional Staff Total|
(research/public service staff included)
|75 staff||115 staff|
|Total Enrollment||773 students||1,633 students|
|# Full-Time Students||733 students||1,434 students|
|# Part-Time Students||40 students||137 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||705 students||1,507 students|
|# Graduate Students||28 students||129 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||2%||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees|
|Out-State Tuition Fees|
|SAT Reading (25-75%)||410-540||450-570|
|SAT Math (25-75%)||400-570||460-573|
|SAT Writing (25-75%)||400-570||440-570|
|ACT English (25-75%)||16-23||19-25|
|ACT Math (25-75%)||16-22||18-25|
|ACT Composite (25-75%)||17-22||20-25|
- Fisk University is one of the nation's pre-eminent minority colleges. Founded in 1866, the university is the oldest in Nashville, Tennessee. Its distinguished alumni include educators, artists, thinkers and public servants such as W.E.B. Du Bois, James Weldon Johnson, Aaron Douglas, John Hope Franklin, Nikki Giovanni, U.S. Representatives John Lewis and Alcee Hastings and former U.S. Secretary of Energy Hazel O'Leary.
- Fisk University provides a variety of student-centered social and educational activities, academic support programs, intramurals, and residence life programming as a part of the Fisk Experience. By developing your leadership skills, providing community service opportunities, and supporting student led initiatives, The Division of Student Engagement and Enrollment Management offers student access to participate and lead co-curricular programming.
- The Fisk University John Hope and Aurelia E. Franklin Library is the academic hub of the university, working to support the academic programs by providing books, electronic resources, and other materials. The present building was completed in 1969 and opened in January 1970. It houses over 200,000 volumes. Special Collections is a major national resource for the study of the African-American experience.
- In 1930, Fisk became the first African-American institution to gain accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Fisk has been included for the past ten years in Money Magazine's "100 Best College Buys. Washington Monthly recognized Fisk as the fifth best of 300 liberal arts schools in the nation in terms of research, service learning opportunities and its work to aid the social mobility of 1st generation college students. Fisk is routinely included in Peterson's "Top Colleges for Science.â€?
Related School Videos
Related School Video